Monday, November 10, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME !

Life, believe, is not a dream so dark as sages say;
Oft a little morning rain foretells a pleasant day.
--- Charlotte Bronte

Well today is my birthday! 48 to be exact at 2:33 pm. I don't mind being 48, though sometimes I wish I were 33 again, and knew what I know now.....probably everyone feels that way at one time or another. I used to say that it usually rains on my birthday, but the past 10 years or so there have been several pleasant days with sunshine so I cannot say that any longer. As of last week the forecast was for rain today, but where I am (3 hours north of San Francisco) the sun was partially out when I awoke! The clouds are continuing to pile up, but I don't mind......we need the rain.

Today I am going to skip our poem from Mightier than Circumstance to post one from a newspaper clipping I found in my Mom's stuff that was actually in one of my Grandmother's bibles. My Mother died in Sept. 2004 and my Grandmother Rachel died in Oct. 1978. Her father (my great-grandfather) was a preacher and kinda a doctor back in Kansas. He died in the mid 1920's. I have several family bibles including his. Anyway, this poem is titled "At Sixty-two" and though I am not 62 I love it! I think I figured the clipping is from the 1960's.(no date was on it)

AT SIXTY-TWO
Author unknown


Just sixty-two? Then trim thy light,
And get thy jewels all reset;
"Tis past meridian, but still bright,
And lacks some hours of sunset yet.
At sixty-two
Be strong and true,
Scour off thy rust and shine anew.
~~~~~
'Tis yet high day, thy staff resume,
And fight fresh battles for the truth;
For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth.
A wedge of gold
Is never old;
Streams broader grow as downward rolled.
~~~~~
At sixty-two life is begun,
At seventy-three begin once more;
Fly swiftly as you near the sun
And brighter shine at eighty-one.
At ninety-five
Should you arrive,
Still wait on God, and work and thrive.
~~~~~
Keep thy locks wet with morning dew,
And freely let thy graces flow;
For life well spent is ever new,
And years anointed younger grow.
So work away,
Be young, for aye,
From sunset, breaking unto day.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


A handmade birthday card from my dear friend Marie.

Today I decided to do nothing more than whatever I wanted. I know, recently all my days have been like this, but this day I won't feel guilty about it. I just want to be. I look out the windows and onto the porch where my gathering of pumpkins still sit. We spent over 50.00 on pumpkins this year.(actually a bit more :o) I know, that is a lot of money to spend on something that will usually be composted by Christmas, but they bring me such joy each autumn and I look forward to them every year. The little farm stand that we got them at had nearly a dozen varieties and I think I got at least 6 different kinds. One, I think, was called "bloodshot eyeball" because it has little veins running thru it and a greenish circle that is suppose to be the pupil. Who comes up with these things!? I guess just regular folks do.

I am finally reading "The Secret Life of Bees". It is coming to our local theatre on Friday and a girlfriend and I will see it sometime thereafter. I really wanted to read the book before seeing the movie. I think the cast is awesomely assembled though in the book Lily is dark-haired and, of course, we know that Dakota Fanning is blond. That's all I will say about that as to not spoil it for anyone who has not read the book. Or maybe I am the only one who hasn't? Oh, I do want to mention one more thing......such strong and comforting thoughts and prayers to Jennifer Hudson and her sister for their terrible loss. I cannot fathom what they must be going through. I know most of the nation was so shocked and saddened by it. And I know, unfortunately, that this situation happens more than we know to just good ol' regular people too and never gets published nationally. What is it? Drugs, anger-control, ego, just plain selfishness?
"EACH ONE HELPS THE OTHER, SAYING TO ONE ANOTHER, "TAKE COURAGE"!" --- Isaiah 41:6

The above picture was the closest one I had with bees!
HAVE A KIND-HEARTED DAY!

No comments: